Breaking the Stereotype

Today is Gandhi Jayanti, a day which is nothing more than a public holiday to today’s generation. They will sleep around the whole day, watch a news report about Gandhi and crib about the “Dry Day” (  the intelligent sorts have already stocked up their house with alcohol last night ) yet whenever we talk about Gandhi it is a socially accepted fact that we should always praise him, why so? Because according to our history textbooks Indian Independence Struggle was all about Gandhi and others were just not that important.

So today I expected the Twitter world to be all talks about Gandhi, surprisingly it wasn’t! There were many negative remarks, many things said against him etc and finally I understood that there are other people who share my feelings and that it is not just me who dislike Gandhi. Though it’s a small step and whatever happens in the virtual world cannot be applied to the rest of the country considering so many in the country are not even close to learning about internet.  But so many stereotypes and a general understanding that I had in my mind about the guy on our currency was shattered today, I saw almost everything in a new light. The thoughts are changing, the opinions are changing and people are making it a point that their opinion are heard and that’s a happy thought! 

Comments